I remember wondering what life would be like when I was coaching full-time.
It’s now been over 5 years since I quit my “day job” (my previous career in marketing) and stepped fully into coaching.
So I wanted to peel back the curtain for you and share what it’s really like to run a full-time coaching business.
- I set my own schedule. I get to organize my days & weeks the way I want to – and setup the flow of my year the way I want to.
- I can travel as much as I want. Not only do we host retreats in beautiful places like Bali, Costa Rica and Greece, but I also love to visit friends & family around the world, and attend events & retreats that interest me. I often spend 4-6 weeks “living” and working from Europe in the summers.
- I spend most of my time in my “zone of genius.” I’ve organized my life & business around the things I do best (and enjoy most). For me, these are things like: coaching, speaking & hosting events, connecting with people, writing, photoshoots, etc.
- I have an incredible team. My mentor Gigi Sage is my business partner, and we love collaborating and empowering one another. Plus we have a team of three amazing full-time VA’s who handle 90% of the behind-the-scenes work so Gigi and I can stay focused on what we do best.
- My life keeps getting better and better. I wish I could describe to you how much happier, more fulfilled, and richer my life becomes with every year that passes. Stepping fully onto my path & purpose as a coach has had a ripple effect on my health, relationships, and pretty much every area of my life.
- I get to make a difference everyday. There is nothing more fulfilling than knowing you are making a positive difference. Hearing clients telling you how you’ve changed their lives. Sharing your gifts, and helping to make the world a better place. It’s priceless.
The Cons (or Challenges)
- The “boring” parts. The truth is, every business involves some tasks that are going to feel less exciting. For me, these are things like administrative tasks, paying bills & contractors, bookkeeping & taxes, etc. Over time I’ve been able to outsource the large majority of these tasks. But as the business owner, I still oversee them! And believe it or not, I’ve actually learned to enjoy even the “boring” parts of my business – because it’s all a part of me getting to do the work I love.
- I set the tone. Have you heard the saying, “Wherever you go, there you are?” When I first stepped into coaching I carried a lot of my patterns with me – like over-scheduling and overworking myself. It took a while before I realized this wasn’t necessary, and I could come from a place of ease & flow, while still getting results!
- No one is telling me what to do. Sounds amazing, right? It really is. AND – it can also be challenging! Not having a boss means that I need to be crystal clear on my vision, next steps, and strategies so I can “steer the ship” and make sure we stay the course and thrive.
- I create my results (or lack of them). When things aren’t working, I take full responsibility. It’s up to me to figure out how to move through whatever challenges arise, so we can keep serving people and fulfilling our mission. (Hint: This is why I have a lot of coaches & mentors, and I never stop learning & growing!)
This is by no means a comprehensive list.
But hopefully it gives you a sense of what it’s like to coach full-time.
For me, the pros far outweigh the “cons.”
In fact, I’m grateful for every challenge I listed above, because they have catalyzed unbelievable growth and confidence in me over the past few years.
I now stand as a woman who knows I can do anything I set my mind to.
Which is why I’m so passionate about helping others make their dream of becoming a full-time coach (or consultant) a reality.
I’m hosting a F R E E masterclass on this topic soon, and I’d love to have you there!
It’s called “The Full-Time Coach Formula: 3 Steps to Replace Your Income Through Coaching in 6-12 Months.”
In it, I’ll help you create a clear plan to replace your income, so you can confidently quit your day job. Plus, I’ll share my proven approach to find & enroll clients – without social media, paid advertising, or other complicated “one-size-fits-all” marketing strategies.
Details + registration here: www.TheFullTimeCoach.com
P.S. Whether you’ve been thinking about getting into coaching – or you’ve already started your business but it isn’t growing as fast as you’d hoped – you will love this masterclass!